lily pu floral designs

lily pu floral designs

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Living Sculpture...

...is how someone once described Ikebana.
Art in 3-D with live plants and flowers as sculpting medium.

This simple arrangement is composed of just 2 elements:
agapanthus flowers and New Zealand flax leaves. I was going for something that felt airy and open---like an atrium. Yet, as I was finishing it, I wondered if there was too much open space. So I tried more flowers, but even adding one made it feel cluttered.

My sensei liked it and said, once again, "the simplest arrangements are the most difficult". Today's lesson was "Leave well enough alone" The trick: when is it good enough?

2 comments:

  1. Balancing out of "too much" & "too little" is the most difficult part of Ikebana, I think. I love this kind of arrangement a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've definitely mastered the art of designing and breaking up negative space (mo or ma)in Japanese Ikebani vocabuary. This is an outstanding piece... just lovely, Lily

    ReplyDelete