lily pu floral designs

lily pu floral designs

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Less is more.

This morning at class, I was in the mood to do something zen-like, so I chose this slim lavender-hued vase. It's opening is only 1/2 inch wide, so a makeshift "kenzan" out of crumpled up vines had to be used. After shaping the pussy willow branch just so, I had quite a nice line going. Cool. But then I found that no matter what I tried to add, it seemed to take away from the overall zen feeling. So leaving well enough alone, I sought out a second vase to complete the arrangement, using a few sprigs of heather and one gladiolus stalk (split into 5).

Sensei said it is often most difficult to do the most sparse arrangements. As usual, she was right.

2 comments:

  1. I totally LOVE this arrangement! It is so beautiful. I learned also by watching you struggling to keep the zen expression but at the same time trying not to be a sparse arrangement. It is a fine line between those two, i guess. I was only thinking adding more pussy willows is the solution...but when sensei put those containers closer together...wow! problem solved.
    You didn't need anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing lesson, wasn't it? i think we have the best sensei!

    ReplyDelete