lily pu floral designs

lily pu floral designs

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Ultimate Zen


People often ask me, what is the essential idea behind Ikebana? I think what sets it apart from other styles of flower arranging, say Western style, is the point of view that although flowers and plants are in perfect shape in their natural environment, there are excess parts. So, removing the unnecessary parts is essential to the art of ikebana.

The trick, always, is to know just what to remove and how much. A key to that knowledge is practice.

Hence, this exercise in ultimate simplification: maximum expression possible by the minimum parts possible. In other words, I had to try to eliminate unnecessary parts to the ultimate so that, if any more is removed, the original materials can no longer be identified or what remains cannot be ikebana.

Did I succeed? Can you tell what kind of plant material I used?

No comments:

Post a Comment